2011年5月29日日曜日

Why mechanical control now?

The weather forecast tells #2 Typhoon coming near Kinki district before dawn tomorrow with no landing just on the sea in weakened power condition.

The automobiles now on sale are fully controlled by inboard computer called ECU(Engine Control Unit), so driver would not know the difficulties to control and to adjust by human power just only with mechanical methods without any electric sensors and electric actuators, except in case of out of order.
But even dysfunctions could be analyzed and judged so quickly on diagnosis system leading to identifying the defected parts resulting quick repairing.

I didn't realize this facts and truth that electric devices and semiconductors play a great parts of total control on automobile until I had an opportunity to repair and restore 40 years old and fully mechanically controlled air cooled VW Beetle.

But I know that the adjustments can change according to my own preferences in any way if I change the point of views, yes, the curiosity and interests are to the points restoring old automobiles.

For example, contact point gap, ignition timing, idle speed, air/fuel ratio in every phase, the activation ratio of acceleration pump, automatic choke module angular position, mechanically slipping resistor in clutch linkage, also brake one,all of them are factors to affect on driving feel.
Doing all by myself and establishing my taste are great fun for me like some cooking chef with no way to change anything else.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿